- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup lemon grass, chopped
- 4 limes, squeezed or you may also use calamansi or lemon
- 1/3 cup vinegar, if sinamak is available, use this instead of regular vinegar to add flavor
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp sugar
- a dash of salt and pepper
- annatto seeds
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter
For the past few days, my mind has been occupied with so many things starting with my online studies, deadlines of assignments, chores, and stuff that need to be finished around the house. It drives me crazy, ye know! And there is this friend of mine who posted their photo of chicken inasal at their restaurant, and I will admit that I got so hungry and craved for inasal that time. But alas, it’s quite late to order already, so double alas, it’s either wait for the next day to order or cook it by myself. Well, the latter idea won and I made it today right after paintball.
It’s my first time making chicken inasal, so please bear with me if there are some imperfections in my recipe. I’d be happy to hear your thoughts and comments about this, so I’ll be able to adjust it. So far, the family devoured the chicken till the last piece and they said it’s delicious. Well, I guess they don’t have much choice or else they’d go hungry hahaha
Here are the simple steps to follow for a healthy, easy, and yummy chicken inasal
1. Clean the chicken thighs thoroughly and set aside for a while.
2. In a big bowl or ziplock, put the lemongrass, lime, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, and sugar, and mix together. Add the cleaned chicken, mix the spices evenly, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. While marinating the chicken, take out your pan and heat it in low fire. Add the butter or margarine, wait till it’s melted, then add the annatto seeds (achuete). You will be using this to brush on the chicken’s skin. This will add color and will keep your chicken from drying while grilling. You may keep this aside while waiting for your chicken.
4. Once ready, light up your charcoal and start grilling. Just make sure the coal’s not too close to the chicken to avoid burning it. Also, please make sure to cut a few slits on your chicken to ensure that it’s cooks all throughout. You may also grill your chicken using an oven if you wish. Preheat it in the maximum temperature and once hot, grill your chicken for about 20-30 minutes till done.
My kids and I love chicken inasal with soy sauce dip. To add a little flavor, squeeze some calamansi and cut a few chili. Serve your chicken while hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!