- 10 lbs napa cabbage
- sweet rice flour
- fish sauce
- hot pepper flakes
- green onions
- 13. carrots
- 14. raddish
Mak Kimchi means easy Kimchi in English and it is my all-time favourite Korean side dish! You can eat it plain with hot rice or with other Korean dishes to spice up your meal.
- Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores. Chop it up into bite size pieces.
- Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt.
*tip: 1 cup of salt will be used for 10 pounds of napa cabbage
- Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1½ hours).
- 1½ hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
- Drain the cabbage and set aside.
- Put 3 cups of water and ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 minutes).
- Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir and cook for a few more mintues until it’s translucent.
- Cool it down.
Make kimchi paste:
- Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients one by one.
- Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
*tip: much easier to use a food processor.
- Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, and ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
- Mix all ingredients well and your kimchi paste is done.
Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste!
- Put the kimchi paste in a large basin and add all the cabbage. Mix it by hand.
- *tip: If your basin is not large enough to mix all the ingredients at once, do it bit by bit.
- Put the kimchi into an air- tight sealed plastic container or glass jar.
Special thanks to maangchi.com for the delicious kimchi recipe.